An Established Firm with Years of Experience
At Kazembe and Associates, we dedicate ourselves to a dynamic defense of our client. Our aim is to ensure that no stone is left unturned when undertaking your defense, while at the same time keeping you informed as to how we intend to proceed. We have the expertise and experience to ensure that you receive the best possible legal defense, giving you equal footing against the prosecution through resourceful, passionate representation.
We perform due diligence in every aspect surrounding your case within the parameters of Criminal Law. Let us take care and guide you along the way with accurate information and expert advice.
What is Criminal Law?
Criminal law is concerned with individuals who commit crimes, where the prosecution includes people deciding whether the individual should be punished for their conduct or lack thereof. There are two basic kinds of offences outlined in the criminal code: summary conviction offences (minor), and non-summary offences which are indictable.
Summary Convictions Offences
Summary conviction offences are punishable by a fine no more than $5,000 and up to 6 months in jail. With indictable offences, the penalties may be divided into the following three categories:
- Indictable-only: Treason or murder, these can only be tried in a high court and with a jury (unless decided otherwise).
- Offences of absolute jurisdiction: Theft and fraud up to $5,000 and other nuisance offences.
- Hybrid offences: Involves most other offences that are outlined in the Criminal Code.
In Canadian Criminal Law, if there is an alleged offence the following process is involved:
- The police present a complaint to the judge, who will then issue a warrant for arrest.
- An arrest is made.
- The individual under arrest will appear before a judge within 24 hours to answer to the charges and discuss the possibility of bail.
- Depending on the plea, the court may deal with sentencing or assign it for a later date.
Reasons You Need a Criminal Lawyer
Throughout the process, you want to have an experienced lawyer by your side. Choosing a criminal lawyer ensures you have a trusted source to explain your rights from before a warrant is assigned, through all decision making legalities and possible trial. There are different policies for different types of Criminal Law cases, whether the individual is a young offender, or if a pardon is being discussed. Don’t get stuck in the complexities of the legal system, for cases that involve Criminal Law. It is highly important you have a team of criminal lawyers on your side you can trust. Contact Kazembe Law, we will guide you through the criminal legal proceedings and ensure you have a fair and successful trial.
Our Criminal Law Expertise includes:
- All Drug Offences
- All Weapons Offences
- Assault with a Weapon
- Bail Hearings
- Bail Reviews
- Break & Enter
- Charter Applications
- Domestic Assault
- Impaired Driving / Over 80
- Internet Related
- Charges Murder / Culpable Homicide
- Sexual Assault
- Tax Prosecutions
- Young Offenders