Family Class

You’ve moved to Canada, but the rest of your family haven’t been able to come yet. As a Canadian citizen, a person registered under the Canadian Indian Act, or a permanent resident of Canada you’re eligible to sponsor your family to come live, study and work in Canada with you.

At Kazembe Law, we understand the importance of family. With our expertise in Immigration Law Family Class, we can help you become reunited with your family. The Canadian government allows you to assist your family’s immigration through the Family Class Sponsorship program. Understanding the program is fundamental so you can better prepare yourself for the sponsorship process.  

Family Class Applications – FAQ

We’ve put together an extensive list of questions and answers you need to know regarding Immigration Law, under the Family Class division:

What are the family sponsorship requirements?
You must be at least 18 years old and Canadian citizen, or person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act, or a permanent resident of Canada.

Why couldn’t all my family members come with me when I immigrated?
When you immigrate, you can only bring family members if they are your dependents. This includes a spouse/common law partner, dependent child, your spouse/common law partner’s dependent child, or a dependent child of a dependent child.

After you immigrate the only family members you can sponsor are your parents, grandparents, brother/sister, uncle/aunt, niece/nephew, and other relatives.

I came to Canada because of the sponsorship program, can I sponsor someone else in my family?
As of March 2, 2012 individuals that entered Canada based on the sponsorship program are not allowed to sponsor someone else for another 5 years (from your landing date).

After my partner and I immigrated to Canada, are we considered legally married?
If you were married in Canada, you must have a marriage certificate. If you were married outside of Canada, the marriage must be legal in that country and under Canadian law, also a marriage that was performed by an embassy must be under the country where it took place.

What do I have to do once they are accepted and move here?
As a sponsor, you are financially responsible for your family members being sponsored. You sign a contract called an “undertaking” with the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This is a promise to provide support and basic requirements which include:

  • Food
  • Clothes
  • Utilities
  • Personal requirements
  • Shelter
  • Fuel
  • Household supplies
  • Health care not provided OHIP ( eye and dental care)

Why am I not eligible to sponsor?

  • There can be a number of reasons why you are rejected to be a sponsor
  • You were convicted of an offence
  • You were a previous sponsor and did not support them financially
  • You declared bankruptcy
  • You missed loan payments
  • You were a sponsor less than 5 years ago

Do you find the Family Class Sponsorship program confusing? Want your family members sponsored? Contact us, at Kazembe Law we will work together to reach a solution for you and your family. Let us help you with your Immigration Family class case. If you’re interested in the sponsorship program, Call Kazembe Law at 416-633-9311 so we can discuss the process of getting your family back together.